Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Just a way for me to rant and rave a bit as things happen.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado

Just one of billions of lifeforms on this little blue planet.

Previous Posts

Archive

Cool Blogs

Podcasts

PodcastJune 2006

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Appendicitis anyone?

What an unproductive week this has been. I think I picked up some kind of flu like bug last weekend. Starting Sunday, I felt weak, run down, kept getting a fever that would come and go and generally just felt like shit. I actually ended up calling in sick to work Monday and Tuesday, which for me, is way out of the norm. I finally broke down and went to the doc on Tuesday. Basically I just wanted some quick fix or at least some good old pep talk from my doc that this is just a little virus that will soon pass. WRONG!

After spending an hour of examining me, they seem to think I may actually have the start of appendicitis! Strange cuz my gut never hurt till they started pushing really hard on it. Next thing I know I am getting a cat scan of my abdomen. Now, keep in mind, the ONLY thing I really wanted to do that day was sleep. From starting at the doctor's office at 9am, it is now 3pm and another doctor is telling me that my appendix looks a little abnormal and I am to go to the hospital! WTF??? I don't feel THAT bad! Next comes the inevitable phone calls. First to K to let him know what is up and where we need to go, next to my boss to give him a heads up (I am
suppose to be leaving for a work trip to Phoenix the next day, and finally to my Mom who is in town running some errands. The last one was the one a dreaded the most. She has spent so much time in hospitals lately, dealing with her brother, then my grandma a couple weeks ago and now me! Oy.

K and I get to the emergency room only to find out it will be an hour before I am seen. Mom finally shows up right as the are taking me in. They get me into a bed and wouldn't you know, more friking needles. So far, I had already given blood twice and already had an IV for my cat scan. I hate needles, no I absolutely LOATH them. Not so much the pain, just the fact getting stuck my them. And here it goes again! More blood taken and now and IV of fluid since apparently I'm dehydrated. Well no shit! They haven't let me eat or drink anything all day. Another doctor feels me up and then says a surgeon will see me in 2 hours! Fuck, if I was really sick I could be dead by now! I'm starting to wonder what is really going on. Finally the surgeon comes in and pokes and prods me again. Honestly, I have never been poked so much in my entire life and unfortunately it hasn't been in the good way! Well, now the surgeon doesn't feel it is appendicitis, but rather a viral thing. As I was joking with K and my mom that I think maybe I have that new bird flu, the nurse walks in and says, "We can test you for that.". "Really?", I say. "Yes, do you feel any sudden urges to fly or peck?" Everyone's a smart ass.

It was a pretty humorous night down there though. At one point while waiting for the surgeon, a cute young resident who has been working with me comes in and looks at the TV playing up on the wall. They are showing clips of all these hot, shirtless guys on some reality show. He looks over at K and I and starts laughing. "What the hell? Did you guys bring in your own video tapes?" LOL.

Left the hospital Tuesday night and headed back to the doctor on Wednesday. They STILL frikin think I have appendicitis! More blood and worse of all, they officially take me off work for a week. Not good news to tell the boss. He actually took it well, and just told me to get better. He even called today from Phoenix to check on me. He isn't usually the type to do that so it took me a little off guard.

So here I sit. Bored out of my skull. Not feeling bad, but not being allowed to do ANYTHING while modern medicine tries to figure out if in fact there is anything wrong with me. Grrrrrr.

link | posted by Slyder at 12:41 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger The Persian commented at 10/18/2005 06:25:00 AM~  

Hope you are doing better (and that you don't actually have apendictis)..:)

Blogger Slyder commented at 10/18/2005 06:08:00 PM~  

Thanks for all the good wishes! Never did get appendicitis, just a real nasty bug.

Want to Post a Comment?

back to main page